David Agus (Steve Job's Doctor during the last part of his life) has a new book out with 65 rules we should follow to achieve better health.
Dr. Agus was interviewed by Amy Wallace. Read the full article on Wired.com
Here are some of Dr. Agus' rules:
1. RULE 18 Start a sensible caffeine habit. “Consuming caffeine in moderation from natural sources like the coffee bean and tea leaf has long been shown to confer positive benefits on our health.”
2. RULE 29 Smile. “The act itself will trigger the release of pain-killing, brain-happy endorphins and serotonin.”
3. RULE 17 Jack your heart rate up 50 percent above your resting baseline for at least 15 minutes every day.
4. RULE 2 Measure yourself. “You might want to consider adding a tracking app or device of some kind to your life.”
5. RULE 37 Eat more than three servings of cold-water fish a week.
6. RULE 10 Have a glass of wine with dinner.
7. RULE 21 Inquire about statins if you’re over-the-hill.
8. RULE 22 Take a baby aspirin. Low-dose aspirin can not only prevent strokes and heart attacks, it reduces the risk of dying from cancer.
9. RULE 41 Never skip breakfast.
10. RULE 11 Practice good hygiene—in bed and out.
11. RULE 59 Avoid stilettos and other sneaky sources of inflammation. Wear comfortable shoes.
12. RULE 49 Pick up a pooch. Dogs keep you on a regular schedule.
13. RULE 62 Don’t take vitamins and supplements. In randomized trials, most show no benefit, and some actually increase mortality.
14. RULE 5 Eat real food.
15. RULE 60 Avoid juicing. “Does the body really like consuming 10 carrots all at once?” he asks. “I think not.” RULE 54 Avoid detoxes.
16. RULE 31 Be positive.
17. RULE 57 Avoid sunburns.
18. RULE 56 Avoid airport backscatter x-ray scanners. Until science can prove the safety of such machines, he explains in his new book, “I’ll be requesting the manual pat-down massage when I go through the TSA’s gateway at airports. You should too.”
19. RULE 16 Get off your butt more. S-t-r-e-t-c-h.
20. RULE 9 Cultivate om in the office.